The Archives Room is currently open to the public by appointment. The Archives Room is being redesigned to accommodate research and access to the collections.
To schedule an appointment or find out when the Archives will be open, please call the Colfax Area Historical Museum before your visit, at (530) 346-8599.
Directions: The Archives Room is located in the Sierra Vista Community Center, at 55 School Street, Colfax, CA. Take the Colfax off-ramp from I-80 (approximately 50 miles northeast of Sacramento, California). Follow the signs into town. Cross the railroad tracks and turn right on North Main Street. Go two blocks to School Street and turn left. The Sierra Vista Community Center is located at 55 School Street. The Archives Room is on the second floor.
From Grass Valley, turn off Highway 174 from Grass Valley onto North Main Street in Colfax, and go two blocks to School Street on your right. The Sierra Vista Community Center is located at 55 School Street. The Archives Room is on the second floor.
The CAHS archive room contains:
- Collection of Chinese ceramics and baskets
- Period clothing from 1800 to 1940
- WWII memorabilia: Uniforms, helmet, shells, and an album with pictures of Camp Placer
- Books and other literature for historical reference
- Cemetery records from 1851 to 1984
Grace Hubley Photographic Collection
- 8,000 glass plate negatives from the early 1900’s
Maps, Photos, Sketches
- Maps and pictures from 1870 to 1999 of the Colfax area and many of the railroads
- Pictures of bridges and books about the North Fork of the American River