The Iowa Hill Community Cemetery, Inc. has an opening for the position of treasurer
By Robin Yonash
Would you like to make a big impact with a minimal time
investment? Then the six other members of the Iowa Hill Community Cemetery
Board of Directors invite you to join them as the Treasurer. This position requires
only about five (5) hours a year and filling it will make an immense difference
to the operation of the Cemetery.
Duties include attending two Board meetings a year
(transportation from Colfax to Iowa Hill is available if needed) and presenting
a Treasurer’s Report, plus filing simple reports annually with four Government
entities. (Our taxes can be done with just two electronic postcards!) These
activities occur between May and October.
Computer literacy, including basic Excel skills, and
Internet access are essential. Residency in Iowa Hill is not necessary,
although a connection to the community is of interest.
If you want to explore this opportunity, please contact our
President, Tom McClure, at 916-616-9649 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Iowa Hill Community Cemetery is a 501(c)(13) charitable corporation. For more information on the historic Iowa Hill Community Cemetery, visit our web site at https://ihcemetery.weebly.com.
Robin Yonash, Secretary to the Board of the Iowa Hill
Cemetery, is the author of three books on the history of Iowa Hill: Schools of the Iowa Hill Divide, Towns and People of the Iowa Hill Divide,
and Gold and Fire: A History of the Iowa
Hill Divide. Signed copies are available for purchase at the Colfax
Heritage Museum (proceeds benefit the Colfax Area Historical Society); unsigned
copies can be purchased on Amazon.
Remember, there is no program tonight, September 14.
Instead, the Colfax Area Historical Society will be attending a special book talk and presentation on Sunday afternoon, October 20, with other members of the community in the city council chambers in Colfax City Hall (33 South Main St, Colfax, CA 95713).
This is a special program that was organized by Marnie Mendoza, Colfax Mayor Pro Tem.
Our scheduled September 14, 2019, meeting and program is being moved to October 20, 2019, because we’re going to join with a larger community-wide audience for a special presentation and book talk by Robert B. Wells, author of the book Voices from the Bottom of the South China Sea: The Untold Story of America’s Largest Chinese Emigrant Disaster.
Wells will tell the story about some of the Chinese emigrants who crossed the Pacific Ocean from 1867-1875, arriving in San Francisco and Colfax, California, to build the railroads and mine for gold. The return of one group to Hong Kong by ship in 1874 ended tragically in a midnight fire and shipwreck in the South China Sea, just hours away from rejoining their families in China. His book tells their story.
This special presentation will be on Sunday afternoon, October 20, 2019, from 2–3:30 p.m. Because a large audience is expected, his talk will be held in the Colfax City Hall Council Chambers, at 33 South Main Street, Colfax, CA 95713.
Our quarterly board meeting will be held on July 18, 2019, in the Meeting Room of the Colfax Passenger Depot, 99 Railroad Street, Colfax, CA 95713. These meetings are open to all CAHS members and to the public.
Several decades of tree growth were recently cut down, revealing the spectacular view of the Cape Horn Promontory from the site of a commemorative plaque on highway 174 in Colfax, California.
The Cape Horn Promontory can be seen from the stone bench that is located in the parking lot to the left of the Red Frog Bar & Grill, at 1001 State Highway 174, Colfax, California.
The plaque is “dedicated to the memory of thousands of Chinese who worked for Charles Crocker on the Central Pacific Railroad. From September 1865 to May 1866 they hand-cut a ledge for railroad tracks across the face of Cape Horn Promontory over 1300 feet above the canyon floor. They are honored for their work ethic and timely completion of the transcontinental rails ending in Promontory, Utah, May 1869.”
The Red Frog is a popular bar & grill that has an outdoor deck which provides its own spectacular view of the Cape Horn Promontory. Randy Brock, the owner of the Red Frog, graciously allowed the trees that were on his property to be cut so that visitors who stop to read the plaque can clearly see the Promontory.
The Cape Horn plaque was first installed by the Colfax Area Historical Society in 1999. In 2019, a revised plaque was installed, which corrected several spelling mistakes and a historical error about the construction of the transcontinental railroad around the Cape Horn Promontory.
The other side of the bench has a historical plaque commemorating the Blue Star Memorial By-Way. That plaque was installed by the Colfax Garden Club in 1998. The two plaques are mounted on either side of a wide stone bench that invites you to contemplate the view.
Thank you everyone who came to last Saturday night’s presentation of photos then-and-now of the transcontinental railroad route from Roseville to Truckee. Roger Staab was a wonderful speaker.His commentary comparing and explaining the historical and contemporary photos was entertaining and sometimes surprising.
There were 40+ people there — a wonderful turnout. It was great to meet new people and the refreshments were delicious.
We have an evening with a speaker and refreshments four times a year.
The next meeting and speaker will be on September 14, 2019, at 7 p.m.